First group of Master Teachers in mathematics and science recognized by Governor Cuomo
Source: Office of the Governor
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo recently announced the selection of 105 educators from four regions as the first group of New York State Master Teachers.* All ten regions will accept applications between November 1st and January 3rd with final selections being made in the spring.**
The New York State Master Teacher Program was established by Governor Cuomo to identify, reward, and support master math and science teachers throughout New York State. The role of master teachers as professional mentors and content experts is key to developing the current cadre of outstanding educators as well as developing skilled future teachers.
Each regional program is paired with a SUNY campus to give participants additional content exposure. The number of teachers from each region in this first selection and the respective partner SUNY campus are:
· Central New York: 36 (SUNY Cortland)
· Mid-Hudson: 19 (SUNY New Paltz)
· North Country: 21 (SUNY Plattsburgh)
· Western New York: 29 (SUNY Buffalo State)
Additionally, the SUNY pairing for the remaining regions are:
· Long Island: Stony Brook University
· Southern Tier: Binghamton University
· Capital Region: University at Albany
· Finger Lakes: SUNY Geneseo
· Mohawk Valley: SUNY Oneonta
· New York City: in partnership with Math for America
Master Teacher Fellows will:
· Receive a $15,000 stipend per year over 4 years for participation in the program (total compensation of $60,000 per Fellow).
· Engage in peer mentoring and intensive content-oriented professional development opportunities throughout the academic year.
· Work closely with pre-service and early career teachers to foster a supportive environment for the next generation of STEM teachers.
· Attend required regular cohort meetings, participate in and lead several professional development sessions each year, and participate in the training of pre-service and early career educators as part of the Master Teacher program.
** Applications can be submitted online at http://www.suny.edu/MasterTeacher/.